The following is a short book with characteristics of effective team leaders contributed by the Ohio State University Leadership Center.
Team Building: Proven Strategies for Improving Team Performance
Gibb Dyer, Jr., Jeffrey H. Dyer, and William G. Dyer; San Francisco: Jossey-Bass (2013)
Characteristics of effective team leaders include a (an):
- “Clear vision of the team’s goals and the metrics that will accurately measure team performance
- Ability to set clear direction for the team with regard to how to achieve team goals
- Ability to motivate and inspire team members as they pursue team goals
- Ability to teach and coach team members in developing the skills necessary to complete team tasks
- Ability to make each team member feel that she or he is valued and an important contributor to the team
- Ability to hold team members accountable for their contributions to team performance
- Ability to include and listen to team members when making decisions that affect the team
- Ability to manage conflict and solve team problems effectively
- Ability to gain support and resources for the team from key executives and other constituencies (p. 38).”
Team Building is available from the OSU Leadership Center.
Learn how the Ohio State University Leadership Center is inspiring others to take a leadership role that empowers the world at the OSU Leadership Center website.