The following is a short book preview of Stretch (and how to determine the quality of your relationship with your manager) contributed by the Ohio State University Leadership Center.
Stretch: How to Future-Proof Yourself for Tomorrow’s Workplace
Kate Willyerd, Barbara Mistick, and Joseph Grenny, Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons (2015)
Ways to determine the quality of your relationship with your manager:
- “Are you receiving regular feedback from your boss?
- Does that feedback include helping you find ways to ‘stretch’?
- Are you routinely assigned to projects that develop your skills?
- Has your job description changed in several years compared to your peers?
- Has the job you do changed in educational and/or technological requirements?
- Have you had the opportunity to gain additional training or education?
- When was your last promotion? Was in on track with company standards?
- Are your peers promoted more than you are?
- Have you created and discussed a career plan at your company with your boss (p.116).”
Stretch is available from the OSU Leadership Center.
Learn how the Ohio State University Leadership Center is inspiring others to take a leadership role that empowers the world at the OSU Leadership Center website.