The following is a short book preview about keys to team success contributed by the Ohio State University Leadership Center.
Team Building: Proven Strategies for Improving Team Performance
Gibb Dyer, Jr., Jeffrey H. Dyer, and William G. Dyer; San Francisco: Jossey-Bass (2013)
“Leaders of organizations must be willing to create team-friendly environments for teams to function effectively. This means that they must do the following:
- Identify the kinds of work activities for which teamwork is likely to prove essential to accomplish the task.
- Use the structure of the organization to reinforce team membership in accomplishing the organization’s goals.
- Select team members on the basis of clear criteria for team membership.
- Train managers and team members on the dynamics of effective teams and team leadership.
- Reward team members for team performance.
- Set aside time for teams to be involved in regular team-building activities.
- Help teams develop a competency at team building.
- Use appropriate technologies, particularly in the case of virtual teams, to communicate, solve problems, and make decisions.
- Periodically review team performance, even if there are no apparent problems.
- Provide support to help managers and team leaders improve team performance (p. 270-272).”
Team Building is available from the OSU Leadership Center.
Learn how the Ohio State University Leadership Center is inspiring others to take a leadership role that empowers the world at the OSU Leadership Center website.