The following is a short look at creating a customer-focused culture contributed by the Ohio State University Leadership Center.
How to be an Even Better Manager: A Complete A-Z of Proven Techniques and Essential Skills (9th Edition)
Michael Armstrong, London: Kogan Page Limited (2014)
Ten steps to creating a customer-focused culture:
1. “Articulate the core values for service excellence that will be adopted by the organization.
2. Communicate the values to all staff.
3. Live the values at the top management level – how they lead is how they serve.
4. Implement programs of continuous improvement that provide for incremental but significant enhancements to service levels.
5. Implement quality management programs that provide for the achievement of high levels of product and service quality.
6. Focus on internal as well as external customers.
7. Define the behaviors expected of all those dealing with customers.
8. Select people with the right attitudes, train them in the customer service skills they need and empower them to have greater autonomy in relating to customers.
9. Monitor performance by reference to core customer service values and expected behavior.
10. Recognize and reward high levels of customer service achieved by individuals and teams.”
How to be an Even Better Manager is available from the OSU Leadership Center.
Learn how the Ohio State University Leadership Center is inspiring others to take a leadership role that empowers the world at the OSU Leadership Center website.